New Montezuma-Cortez High School
Building a new Montezuma Cortez High School
In the summer of 2012, RE-1 School District received a grant of $22.7 million from the BEST program (Building Excellent Schools Today). This is a very competitive award that holds districts to the highest standards in project management and facility criteria, thus creating excellent results for districts and the communities they serve.
In order to utilize the funds the district had to provide a 48% match and in the fall of 2012 local voters approved these matching funds in the form of a 20 year bond for $21.25 million. The project began in early 2013 and the first class will enter the facility in the fall of 2015.
Here are a few project highlights:
- New LEED Certified High School designed with respect to local history and setting
- Located on an easily accessible 35 acre campus in town
- Highest level energy efficiency
- Flexible classrooms equipped for 21st Century technology
- Multi-use performance space/auditorium
- Full athletic fields
- Dekker/Perich/Sabatini design firm based in Albuquerque, NM has been selected to design the project and they have provided an excellent site to follow the process throughout. Please visit http://www.dpsdesign.org/mchs for meeting minutes, design reports, drawings and other updates.
- You can also follow progress on the RE-1 district website: for project information click here; for general contractor information click here; for announcements and solicitations click here